This is a clock I made from a scrapbook layout sketch for the first issue of Scrapbook News + Review. A lot of sketches really lend themselves well to altered items, whether you use pictures or not. For this one, I happened to use pictures, but I could have just as easily made each of the blocks just a coordinating piece of patterned paper, a quote, whatever works for the piece.
I started with an unfinished window frame from Walnut Hollow. It actually changed color a couple of times and got crackled before I ended up with what I was looking for. The window frames will fit a 12×12 piece of paper behind it exactly but I decided to use a piece of acrylic for the backing. Then I used a 6×6 piece of the same acrylic on the front of the frame to add my clockworks stuff to.
To add the clockworks itself (also from Walnut Hollow), I had to drill through both acrylic pieces and the window frame. With a large hole. This was NOT easy (if you’ve got someone handy with tools who knows of the proper drill bit to use, ASK THEM for help!!) and I definitely have to put the PSA out there to wear eye protection!! In retrospect, it would have probably been easier to use a blade and taken the time to carve out the holes that way (except in the wood frame – that took a drill just fine). Other tips – make sure you use a piece of scrap wood behind the acrylic when you drill. I also used a couple of pieces of masking tape in an “x” over the drill hole as a guide and also to help keep the acrylic from splintering as badly and flying everywhere. Kind of. Pretty sure a different drill bit would have helped, but I used what I had.
From there it was easy sailing. I used tiny screws to attach the back piece of acrylic. I made guide holes for the screws using my trusty Forster hand drill (see the bottom of this post for more info on this handy tool!). The hand drill and it’s tiny hole went through the acrylic beautifully. I then matted each of the photos on coordinating pieces of patterned paper from My Mind’s Eye and edged everything with a copper leafing pen (Krylon) and arranged them according to the sketch. I also edged the 6×6″ piece of acrylic and used the leafing pen to color my clock hands and stamp the word Memories onto another piece of edged paper from MME.
I set up the center 6×6″ acrylic piece and used the clockworks to secure it into place (with some more adhesive behind that piece of pattered paper as well, just to be sure it wouldn’t turn since the clockworks is like a big screw). I used some old decorative brads from Making Memories with the prongs clipped off as my clock “numbers” and set them by turning the clock hands to find the right placement. I love the way it looks against my gold walls in my living room!!
So has anyone else tried altering using sketches? Try it! There are tons of gorgeous sketches out there. Round sketches (see Becky Fleck’s Page Maps) are great for regular round clocks. 8.5″x11″ ones are great for clipboards. Remember the elements shown in the sketch aren’t necessarily what you have to use for your project. Replace pictures with patterned papers or embellishments. Replace journaling with a quote, or some other element that will make up the right size.
The very first thing I ever had requested for publication was actually an altered wooden gift bag done from a sketch for the newly released Scrapbook Blueprints 2! You can actually see my project in the preview PDF there on the website. As you can see there, I replaced the top three photos with flowers and the journaling at the bottom with a quote tile!
I’d love to see what you’ve all done with altering based on sketches! Link me up if you’ve done one or do one in the future!!