This week I chose to finally get around to the August challenge from Some Assembly Required. This challenge blog focuses on altered goodies so right up my alley! Of course, I found it RIGHT AFTER the birdhouse challenge was over with, lol! Anyways, this month the challenge was to incorporate beads into an altered project. Since one of their own designers did paper beads, I figured my own were fair game as well. AND, if you stay tuned for Technique Thursday this week, (cough, and I can get it edited down for time), I did VIDEO this process to go along with my written tutorial!
Annnnd, here’s my finished project!
Now, I did NOT follow my own process for sealing them this time. This is a test set to see how well they will hold up, but instead of dipping them in coat after coat of Future Floor Finish, I did two coats of spray on glossy stuff from the hardware store (Valspar brand). I use this on a lot of my altered items that I want to remove stickiness from Mod Podge as well. Runs around $4 a can.
The pendant was a simple chipboard circle (Creekbank Creations) covered with the same patterned paper (Ameican Crafts) that the beads were made from (altogether it required 1/3 of a piece of 12×12 paper plus the little bit for the pendant). The pendant was then covered in Glossy Accents. It’s a good way to show you how different a paper becomes once it’s turned into a bead.
The spacer beads I used are 6mm blackstone beads from Cousins Corp.
I’d love to know what challenges YOU’ve gotten done this week! Link me up to see what you’ve made (just remember if you put more than one link in a comment for me it will automatically set it aside for approval in case its spam so don’t double post thinking it messed up)!