Ready for the late Valentine’s Day flurry? I know. You usually get the bulk of my holiday items right after the holiday, lol, but it’s because they’ve been in Scrapbook News + Review magazine and I can’t post them here until the month following the issue debut! This is a 16″x20″ canvas I did using the new Basic Grey Bittersweet collection and a couple of fun techniques. Oh! And I’ve also got another Valentine project (a small dollar store frame) up at the Helmar DT blog today – be sure to check that one out for another fun technique!
Let’s start with the canvas itself. I knew the effect I wanted, but on a canvas this size, knew I didn’t have enough Glimmer Mists or even the right shade to make this work. So I made my own spray. I took a spray bottle (actually it was the one I was using to spray the cat when he did something bad so now I need to get a new one for that purpose, lol) and mixed several shades of Lumiere paint (Jacquard), Pearl Ex (Jacquard), walnut ink crystals (to tone it down when it was a bit too bright) and water. I couldn’t begin to tell you how much of what colors because I looked like a mad scientist – add a bit of this and a lot of that – until I got it to spray the way I wanted. Then I layered it onto the canvas. The first couple of layers I sprayed then wiped with a soft cloth (first one direction then the other, alternating as each layer dried) then started letting some of the droplets remain so it didn’t look so precise.
Then there was the issue of the hearts. I do have a heart punch somewhere, but only about a 1″ size and I wanted a much bigger one. So I looked for one. For a week or two. In every store within an hour of here. LSS’s, craft stores – NO ONE had a heart punch in anything over about an inch. A month before Valentine’s Day. I was livid, lol! When I was a distribution buyer, I always made sure we had those in stock well in advance of the holiday so that when the stores began prepping for Valentine’s Day we’d have them ready for them (so I had them in stock back in early December). Well apparently with the influx of diecutting machines (which I’ve still never broken down and bought), no one carries much in the way of punches anymore – even basics like a heart. Sooooo, I dug out my old trusty Coluzzle. Yea, I’m old school, lol! And proceeded to cut almost 200 hearts out of each sheet out of the Bittersweet pack (I still have a TON of this paper left too – just no full sheets). Then I used Scribbles to outline the edges of every single heart with a clear glitter to get a subtle sparkle. I usually don’t spend this kind of time on projects, but this one took several days to complete.
I finished up by tracing one of the 8″ Making Memories chipboard hearts from a couple of years ago (watch for the heart itself to show up as a magnet I made) onto the canvas and began layering the hearts into a heart shape. I built up layers using Helmar Liquid Scrap Dots. These are so cool! I used an entire tube of them on this but just couldn’t stop myself from layering them higher and higher, lol! They do take some time to dry so I could only do a few layers at a time then would have to stop to allow them to dry so that I didn’t inadvertently flatten them when I pressed on the next layer. But it was addictive, lol, and I loved watching it take shape as the layers built up!